Monday, October 22, 2007

David Beckham's Bed

Thought I'd share this funny story with you...

Last year I was staying at my parents flat in North London. It’s a small council flat with 3 bedrooms, where I grew up. It was a full house that night with quite a few grandchildren to put to bed and as usual we were discussing who was going to sleep where. My sister said ‘Dad can sleep in David Beckham’s bed’ This was news to me – why was it called David Beckham’s Bed – they all laughed at me – didn’t I know??? NO I didn’t ‘ Why is it called David Beckham’s bed?’ This is what they told me. When my sister Zelia was a teacher at St. Joan or Arc school Highbury, her teachers assistant was a lady called Philomena – she is David Beckham’s Dad’s sister. When David was a young footballer starting out he lived part of the time with his aunt in London. Sleeping on his single bed in her house. Years later Philomena was moving and had some furniture she wanted to get rid of. She asked my sister if she wanted any and my mum and her went to have a look. Mum needed a new single bed and ended up taking David’s old bed home with her – as well as a couple of chest of drawers. This bed is what I am sitting on now as I write this blog! It’s a brown single divan with a pink velvet headboard, not very comfortable either. But what stories would it tell of a young David Beckham lying there at night!!! Since I found out this story I’ve thought of how we could prove it was his so that I could auction it on ebay! As yet I haven’t done anything about it – I’d love to do a charity sale for it as it’s just such a great story. If anyone knows his PR or how to get in touch with him let me know. Zelia unfortunately isn’t in touch with Philomena any more.

No comments: